Electricity, discovery, science, diseases, progress, disaster.
1. … may bring both good and evil. 2. Outstanding … may change our life greatly. 3. Owing scientific achievements now doctors can treat incurable…4. …was the greatest discovery of 20th century. 5. Insensible using new discoveries may lead to …6. It is impossible to stop…
6. Fill in the following table:
|Positive effects of science 1. 2. 3.||Your own examples 1. 2. 3.|
|Negative effects of science 1. 2. 3.||Your own examples 1. 2. 3.|
Speak about a famous discovery you know which led to disaster.
Society and Telecommunication
Telecommunication is an important part of many modern societies. In 2006, estimates place the telecommunication industry's revenue at $1.2 trillion or just under 3% of the gross world product. Good telecommunication infrastructure is widely acknowledged as important for economic success in the modern world on a both micro- and macroeconomic scale.
On the microeconomic scale, companies have used telecommunication to help build global empires, this is self-evident in the business. In modern Western society, home owners often use their telephone to organize many home services ranging from pizza deliveries to electricians. Even relatively poor communities have been noted to use telecommunication to their advantage
On the macroeconomic scale, in 2001, Lars-Hendrik Röller and Leonard Waverman suggested a causal link between good telecommunication infrastructure and economic growth. Few dispute the existence of a correlation although some argue it is wrong to view the relationship as causal. However from any perspective the economic benefits of good telecommunication infrastructure are undeniable and, for this reason, there is increasing worry about the digital divide.
I. Translate the following words:
1. gross world product
3. microeconomic scale
4. macroeconomic scale
II. Using the text prove the following statements:
1. Telecommunication infrastructure is widely acknowledged as important for economic success
2. Home owners often use their telephone
3. There is a causal link between good telecommunication infrastructure and economic growth
III. Think about the meaning of telecommunication in your life. Discuss your point of view with your group mates.
IV. If you were a businessman would you use telecommunication in your business? Explain your opinion.