Деформации и разрушения дорожных одежд и покрытий: Деформации и разрушения могут быть только покрытий и всей дорожной одежды в целом. К первым относит...
Макетные упражнения: Макет выполняется в масштабе 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 на подрамнике...
Перевал Алакель Северный 1А 3700: Огибая скальный прижим у озера, тропа поднимается сначала по травянистому склону, затем...
Mass Media in Great Britain
Grammar: неличные формы глагола: инфинитив; конструкции с инфинитивом; виды придаточных предложений в английском языке
Упражнение 1. Подберите определения к следующим словам:
A serial, circulation, a viewer, mass media, news, magazine, readership, newspaper, radio, television:
1) what is reported about recent events;
2) a book with a paper cover which is printed every week or every month;
3) a person watching a TV programme;
4) a number of copies of a newspaper or other periodical sold to the public;
5) the people who read a newspaper or a magazine;
6) mass communications (TV, radio, newspapers);
7) a story appearing in parts on radio, TV, or in a newspaper;
8) printed publication, usually issued daily with news, advertisements, etc.;
9) communication by electromagnetic waves;
10) the process of transmitting pictures by radio waves with sound of at the same time.
Упражнение 2. Из слов в скобках выберите одно, подходящее по смыслу.
1. When will your new novel (develop, appear, mention)? 2. This room was (mentioned, included, designed) for children. 3. He (mentioned, provided, united) to me that he had seen you. 4. This case (presents, designs, appears) some interesting features. 5. He was a man of (popular, daily, profound) learning. 6. England and Scotland (united, appeared, mentioned) in 1707. 7. He fell into the water, much to the (newscast, entertainment, popularity) of the onlookers. 8. We must (develop, include, focus) the natural resources of our country. 9. He has a large family to (unite, develop, provide) for. 10. The (advertising, portability, circulation) of my tape-recorder is exaggerated.
Упражнение 3. Найдите русский перевод следующих слов, связанных с периодическими изданиями.
Text. Mass Media
Mass media are one of the most characteristic features of modern civilization. People are united into one global community with the help of mass media. People can learn about what is happening in the world very fast using mass media. The mass media include newspapers, magazines, radio and television.
The earliest kind of mass media was newspaper. The first newspaper was Roman handwritten newssheet called “Acta Diurna” started in 59 B.C. Magazines appeared fro newspapers and booksellers’ catalogues. Radio and TV appeared only in the 20th century.
The most exciting and entertaining kind of mass media is television. It brings moving pictures and sounds directly to people’s homes. So one can see events in faraway places just sitting in his or her chair.
Radio is widespread for its portability. It means that radios can easily be carried around. People like to listen to the radio on the beach or picnic, while driving a car or just walking down the street. The main kind of radio entertainment is music.
Newspapers can present and comment on the news in much detail in comparison to radio and TV newscasts. Newspapers can cover much more events and news.
Magazines do not focus on daily, rapidly changing events. They provide more profound analysis of evens of preceding week. Magazines are designed to be kept for a longer time so they have cover and bindings and are printed on better paper.
The British Media
The British Media consists of the press and radio and TV broadcasting.
Now a couple words about newspapers. First of all there is no subscription. You may buy any on sale. There are two main types of newspapers: the “popular” papers and the “quality” papers.
The popular papers are less in size, with many pictures, big headlines and short articles. They are easy to read. There are such papers as “Daily Express”, “ Daily Mail”, “Daily Mirror”, “Daily Star”, “ The Sun” and others. Most popular papers are tabloids, i.e. papers with small-size pages.
The “quality” papers are for more serious readership. These papers are big in size, with larger articles and more detailed information. The “quality” papers are – “The Times”, “The Guardian”, “Financial Times”, “Daily Telegraph”, and “The Independent”.
In addition to daily papers we have just mentioned above there are Sunday papers. They have a higher circulation that the dailies. Sunday papers in Britain are such “quality” papers as ‘Observer”, “Sunday Times”, “Sunday Telegraph” and such “popular” papers as: “News of the World”, “Sunday Express”, “Sunday Mirror”, “Mail on Sunday”.
As far as broadcasting and telecasting are concerned there are two radio and TV stations. The first one – well-known BBC – British Broadcasting Corporation, and the second – IBA – Independent Broadcasting Authorities.
Упражнение 1. Ответьте на вопросы:
1. What kind of mass media do you know?
2. What was the earliest kind of mass media/
3. Why is the television so exciting?
4. What is the reason for widespread use of radios?
5. What advantages do newspapers have over the other kinds of mass media?
6. What is the difference between the newspaper and the magazine?
7. What does the British Media consist of?
8. What are two main types of newspapers in Britain?
9. Who are “quality” papers for?
Упражнение 2. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на вопросы:
a) what types of programmes can be seen in Great Britain?
b) what types of programmes do you prefer?
Different types of TV programmes can be seen in Great Britain. News is broadcast at regular intervals and there are panel discussions of current events, both national and international. Operas, ballets, music concerts and variety shows are presented at various times. Broadcasts for schools are produced on five days of the week during school hours. In the late afternoon and early evening TV stations show special programmes for children. In the evenings and at weekends there are broadcasts of sport events. Large part of TV evening time is often occupied by serials – films which appear on television in parts daily or at intervals.
Упражнение 3. Согласитесь или не согласитесь с данными утверждениями (выскажите своё мнение).
1. TV is more interesting when you watch it in colour.
2. Since television has been widely introduced into our home life we go to the cinemas and theatres less often.
3. We listen to the radio for the information.
4. Reading newspapers is not my hobby.
Упражнение 4. Прочитайте диалог и ответьте на вопросы:
a) What are the programmes Henry and his wife listen to the radio?
b) What broadcasts does John’s wife listen to during the day?
John and Henry, two Englishmen, are speaking about radio programmes.
John: How often do you listen to the radio?
Henry: We usually switch on to the morning news and it often stays on till I leave for the office.
John: Don’t you listen to any concerts?
Henry: Sometimes, when there is a programme that we like, but we don’t like anything toо highbrow.
John: You don’t mean to say you listen to all variety programmes?
Henry: No, only to the best ones.
John: My wife says she always listens to the radio during the day while she is doing her housework. She has even listened to the school broadcasts and learned quite a lot of interesting things.
Henry: Doesn’t she watch television in the day-time?
John: No, she is toо busy for that.
Упражнение 5. Аудирование. В течение года Карл проживает в британской семье, изучая английский язык. Прослушайте, о чём он говорит с дочерью хозяев дома, Анной, а затем воспроизведите диалог в парах.
Talking about Newspapers
Anna: I’m just going to the High Street. Do you want anything?
Carl: Are you going to the newsagent’s?
Anna: I could do. What do you want?
Carl: Could you get me a newspaper, please?
Anna: Yes, of course. Which one do you want?
Carl: Um, I’m not sure.
Anna: Do you want a national paper or a local one?
Carl: A national daily paper, please.
Anna: Do you want a tabloid or a quality paper?
Carl: What’s the difference?
Anna: Um, I don’t know how to explain.
Carl: Which is easier to understand?
Anna: Well, tabloids use fewer words, and they tend to use simpler words. But they also use more slang and word play.
Carl: Which is cheaper?
Anna: Tabloids are definitely cheaper than quality papers.
Carl: Which has more international news?
Anna: Quality newspapers definitely have more news than tabloid newspapers, and lots more articles on international news.
Carl: I see. In that case, would you get me a quality newspaper, please?
Anna: Certainly. Which one?
Carl; I don’t know. You choose.
Упражнение 6. Выполните следующие задания:
а) составьте диалог на тему “Радио и телевидение в моей жизни”, используя упражнения 2, 3, 4.
б) приготовьте сообщение по теме “Mass Media in Britain”.
Упражнение 1. Определите функции инфинитива, предложения переведите.
1. To read much is to know much. 2. I want to buy a new TV set. 3. He was the first man to tell me about it. 4. The duty of the journalists is to tell people the truth. 5. To serve the interests of people is the main purpose of any good journalist. 6. The journalist must be a well-educated man with a broad outlook to be successful in his profession. 7. He must be able to write in clear, simple and direct language. 8. It is necessary for you to know the truth. 9. She went to London to write some articles. 10. We discussed the method to be used in the experiment. 11. To solve this problem is very important for our society. 12. To get to other planets we must have powerful sources of energy. 13. Many cities are too noisy to live in. 14. It’s never too late to learn. 15. It is good to love and to be loved. 16. The weather seems to be changing. 17. It’s very nice of you to have come here. 18. He can’t help you. 19. My son likes to read popular newspapers. 20. I wanted to watch the weather forecast, but then I forgot about it.
Упражнение 2. Переведите предложения, содержащие сложное дополнение.
1. I want you to read this article. 2. We don’t expect him to arrive in time. 3. I know him to be a good specialist. 4. I believe her to be very pleasant to deal with. 5. They advised us to go there in summer. 6. He saw them enter the house. 7. She felt somebody touch her hand. 8. I heard him arrive early in the morning. 9. We watched the ship leave the port. 10. Nobody noticed him disappear. 11. I let him tell you about it. 12. He made me answer the letter. 13. We want you to make a speech. 14. I’d like him to go to the university but I can’t make him go. 15. I saw the plane crash into the hill and burst into flames. 16. Grandmother doesn’t like the people to disagree with her. 17. My father likes me to play the piano. 18. At what time do you want the lecture to begin? 19. We all felt these words to be true. 20. Our teacher likes us to read well.
Упражнение 3. Преобразуйте предложения по образцу.
Example: Everybody considers that he is a clever man. – Everybody considers him to be a clever man.
1. I know that he is a good teacher. 2. Everybody believes that he is right. 3. I have never heard how she plays the piano. 4. The student expects that the article will be published. 5. I believe that she is a great actress. 6. We discovered that the task was difficult. 7. We discovered that he was dishonest. 8. I found that it was impossible. 9. She believes that they are good students. 10. Medical science has determined that smoking is dangerous. 11. He felt as somebody looked at him. 12. Nobody watched as she spoke on the telephone. 13. We saw that the children played hockey. 14. I admit that my story was false. 15. The doctor believed that his patient was very ill.
Упражнение 4. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на сложное подлежащее.
1. He is said to know much. 2. She is known to be writing a new novel. 3. It is difficult for me to translate this text. 4. You seem to know everything. 5. He happened to be there at that moment. 6. She didn’t prove to be right. 7. He is considered to be a clever student. 8. Children are supposed to obey their parents. 9. You are said to be a good sportsman. 10. I was made to do it. 11. I was allowed to go for a walk. 12. He is likely to win. 13. You are sure to fail. 14. They are expected to come in time. 15. The sun is known to be a source of power.
Упражнение 5. Измените предложения по образцу.
Example: People say that he is a clever man. – He is said to be a clever man.
1. They say that paper has been invented in China. 2. They say that Nick lived on potatoes and vinegar. 3. People know that he is armed. 4. They believe that many people were killed during the accident. 5. We expect that the expedition will reach the South Pole in May. 6. We consider that she was the best singer in America. 7. They say that he is one of the best specialists. 8. People say that this palace will be built in three years. 9. The newspapers report that the President will arrive in Krasnoyarsk tomorrow. 10. They say that he will be interviewed by our TV stations. 11. We expect her to come tomorrow. 12. We know that this student misses classes. 13. They say that children prefer watching TV to reading books. 14. We know that the first newspaper appeared in Rome in 59 B.C. 15. We believe that television is the most exciting and entertaining kind of mass media.
Упражнение 6. Переведите предложения, содержащие инфинитивные конструкции и обороты.
1. He is waiting for the rain to stop. 2. Shall I buy this coat? – It’s for you to decide. 3. The water is too cold for the children to bathe. 4. Here is the book for you to read. 5. It’s too cold for us to go out. 6. The conference to be held on Monday will settle this problem. 7. The new theatre to be opened on the 1st of March is the largest theatre in this city. 8. You are the man to do this. 9. He is strong enough to carry it. 10. It was pleasant for us to sit by the fire and listen to the radio. 11. The weather is likely to change. 12. His parents happened to have come. 13. He seemed to know her desire. 14. Don’t make me tell the truth. 15. I didn’t hear him say these words.
Упражнение 7. Переведите предложения, определите вид придаточных предложений.
1. Listen to the weather forecast before you go out. 2. I’ll tell him everything when he comes. 3. When I read newspapers for a long time, I get a headache. 4. We live now where we have always lived. 5. When I’m working I don’t like to be disturbed. 6. He will be here soon unless he has car troubles. 7. I’ll give you his telephone number so that you won’t have to look it up. 8. I took an umbrella for it was raining. 9. Now that school is over you will have more free time. 10. No matter how bad the weather is, we don’t complain. 11. No matter when you arrive, please call me at once. 12. We met a woman who told fortunes with cards. 13. Do you remember the days when we were happy together? 14. He said that he was glad to be here. 15. He asked me when I was coming back from Europe. 16. No one knows what caused the accident. 17. That is the man whose car crashed. 18. Can you show me the house where Shakespeare lived? 19. They shut the window so that the neighbours could not hear the radio. 20. I promised to return the magazine as soon as I read it.
Упражнение 8. Составьте предложения по образцу.
A: Do you know the girl who was wearing a blue skirt?
B: You mean the one who was so funny.
The young man – green shirt – polite
The lady – large hat – talkative
The man – grey suit – tall
The students – blue jeans – friendly
The children – sport clothes – noisy
Упражнение 9. Составьте предложения по образцу.
A: I like programmes which make me think.
B: So do I. But Bill likes programmes which make him laugh.
Films – cry – think.
Letters – feel needed – feel cheerful.
Songs – sing – sleep.
Games – excited – tired.
Evenings – dream – dance.
Упражнение 10. Используйте в придаточных предложениях подходящие по смыслу союзы where, which, after, why, that, while, what, because, if, as, since, when, whether.
1. You have not changed … I saw you last. 2. … he has finished his work, he may go home. 3. The house … we live is new. 4. … the working day in Vladivostok is coming to an end; it is early morning in Kaliningrad. 5. I think … I can finish my work in a week. 6. I don’t understand … you are talking about. 7. Ask him … he has brought all the books. 8. I don’t know … I will go in summer. 9. I don’t know … he will return. 10. Tell me … you like this quiz. 11. Do you listen to the radio … you are driving a car? 12. We understand … TV is very important in our life. 13. There are a lot of journalists ... the people highly respect. 14. This programme is similar to the “Wheel of Fortune” game … is shown in the USA. 15. The facts … the newspaper referred to were very important. 16. I don’t know … he’ll manage to buy this magazine. 17. Ask the student … he enjoys listening in? 18. He left the house … he had listened to the latest news. 19. I watched this serial from beginning to end … I enjoyed it. 20. A newspaper editor decides … news should be printed.
Test № 7
Выберите правильный ответ.
1. We understand … TV is very important in our life.
a) that; b) what; c) because.
2. Newspapers are referred to as … .
a) mass media; b) press; c) the press.
3. … newspaper is published every day of the week except Sunday.
a) an every day; b) a regular; c) a daily.
4. Television, radio, newspaper, and magazines are called … .
a) multimedia; b) mass medium; c) mass media.
5. I hate TV … .
a) commercials; b) announcements; c) advertisements.
6. These programmes are each watched by around 19 million … every week.
a) watchers; b) spectators; c) viewers.
7. A … newspaper gives detailed accounts of world events, as well as reports on business, culture, and society.
a) serious; b) quality; c) official.
8. A … is a newspaper that has small pages, short articles, and lots of photographs.
a) broadsheet; b) tabloid; c) leaflet.
9. … is the total number of copies of a particular newspaper that are printed at one time.
a) an issue; b) a collection; c) an edition.
10. A … is a humorous drawing or a series of drawings in a newspaper or magazine.
a) caricature; b) cartoon; c) comic.
11. We didn’t like new …, but when the film went on, we got more interested.
a) film; b) programme; c) serial.
12. He left the house after he had listened to the … news.
a) latest; b) later; c) latter.
13. A newspaper editor decides what … should be printed.
a) facts; b) news; c) articles.
14. In this article the scientist told us about the countries … he had been.
a) where; b) what;. c) when.
15. How many TV stations are there in Britain?
a) three; b) two; c) four.
Дата добавления: 2015-11-05; просмотров: 1580 | Нарушение авторских прав