SECOND CONDITIONAL EXERCISES
Упражнение 14. Choose the correct option to form second conditional sentences.
- No mother would have sent/would send a child to anything so awful if she is not/ were not in such misery herself!
- I wouldn’t / mustn’t be surprised if we will turn / turned out to be ordinary humans, after all.
- If Maggie looked/ would look out his eyes, would she / did she come away from the terrifying experience?
- If the captain was / had shipwrecked, and you wanted/ want to rescue him in a boat, he would want / will want to know who was rowing the boat before he would get / got in.
- The transfer will / would be easier if she would have /had no idea what was happening.
- The East India Company can / could break Miguel’s control, if it can increase / increased the coffee amount on the market.
- If my brother were / had to blame he will/ would ask your forgiveness.
- If this could / was be arranged there will be/ would be nothing left for Chris to do.
- It would look / will look as if we were / had been conspiring.
- If it weren't / wouldn’t be for the pain and disgrace Sue would be / will be willing to end it all.
Упражнение 15. Insert the verbs in the appropriate form to form second conditionals.
- Binnerts _______ (may) look for some sources on Dracula, if there________ (be) any.
- If the police__________ (turn) the robber out he ___________ (do) it again.
- Molly’s face says 'I ________ (love) you if ______ I but I can't...’
- These legends ____ (draw) them on, if only they ____ (have) no time to think realistic.
- If the King _______ (employ) an agent it (certainly be) you.
- If Greg ____ (not have) money enough to move to another town, we ___ (give) it to him.
- If Mollenhauer and Butler and____ (can) get together, it ____ (be) a very different matter.
- If it ________ (be) up to me, I _________ (have) my helicopter airborne.
- '_______ (not can) you know more, if you _________ (think) proper?'
- You _________ (can) write every month if you _________ (like).
Упражнение 16. Find and correct mistakes in the second condition sentences. Some sentences are correct.
- How could mother go on living with him if it were like this!
- I would be grateful if Jack will distribute this text.
- I should be grateful if this text would have been circulated as a document.
- Even if I remember them, whom could they interest?
- If Mike were to challenge you to a duel, what should you do?
- But if wind energy can be more efficiently stored, wind power could compete with other types of electricity generation.
- if Katerina did really come first to Tatyana's lodgings, Marya could have detain her.
- If six of us had to die on the way, what was to keep me from crying?
- I should have ship as a loafer if ever I shipped at all.
- Montezuma would be very angered, if I were sacrificed in such a far-off town.
Упражнение 17. Join parts of the sentences to form second conditionals.
- How could you know that you would fall into the cellar…
- If the police shut the robber up too soon…
- They couldn't even hear in the town …
- If the author were to give an account of it …
- If the time scale was lengthened …
- If the consultative process were to be concluded more successfully …
- If it were impossible to adopt the draft resolutions by consensus …
- We could hide in a big barn …
- The dog would start to howl …
- Even if the whole lady world protested, …
a) if we fired the cannon here.
b) they would all the same receive an overwhelming majority of all votes.
c) the reader would hardly believe it.
d) Mark wouldn’t stop watching football.
e) if we felt any danger.
f) if you didn't do this on purpose?
g) the effect would be that much more neutrons would decay into protons.
h) as if it were covered with bees
i) they would deprive themselves of getting more further evidence against him.
j) much more had to be done
Упражнение 18. Произнесите вслух все возможные условные предложения II типа, используя подстановочную таблицу. (Упражнение на выработку автоматизма речи)
| I wish
|| in the south
|| I should
|| bathe every day.
| I were
|| at home
|| go to bed.
| If I were
|| in the country
|| go to the wood.
|| in the wood
|| gather many mushrooms.
|| at the camp
|| have a very good time.
|| a scientist
|| invent a time machine.
|| a composer
|| write beautiful music.
|| a poet
|| write beautiful poetry.
|| a writer
|| write interesting novels.
|| a spaceman
|| fly to other planets.
|| a sailor
|| sail to Africa.
Упражнение 19. Translate the second conditional sentences into English.
- Если бы я был актером, я бы ненавидел это.
- Я была бы очень признательна, если бы Вы дали мне какую-нибудь чистую тряпочку, чтобы завязать палец.
- Билли злился бы еще больше, если бы Моли не заплакала.
- Если бы даже я и была влюблена в Грега, то вы были бы последним человеком, которому бы я призналась.
- У нас было бы даже больше шансов, будь мы на острове
- Во всем можно было бы разобраться, если бы люди говорили бы друг с другом.
- Убийца бы даже сильно удивился, если бы полицейские не вели за ним пристального наблюдения
- Может, Катя была бы добрее к мужчине, будь он её родственником.
THIRD CONDITION EXERCISES (Conditional 3).
Упражнение 20. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form (Conditional 3).
- If the government _______ (give) more money to the factory it ________ (not close).
- If the government ______ (build) flood barriers, we _____ (not have) the floods last year.
- If Dan _______ (know) how to swim, he ____________ (not drown).
- If Molly _______ (listen) to the weather- forecast, she ______ (know) it was going to rain.
- If Greg ______ (tell) me he was ill, I ________ (be) more sympathetic. .
- If she __________ (prepare) for the exam, she __________ (pass) it.
- If Bill _________ (see) the house, he ________ ( not buy) it.
- These words ____ (roughly express) Bob’s feelings, if he _____ (be) capable of reasoning.
- But what ___________ (you do), if you ________ (see) what I saw
- It ___________ (be) all done though, if Jill __________ (help) at the right time.
Упражнение 21. Do you ever think about what would or would not have happened if ... ? Make a chain story, using the following.
If I _______ (not use) so much gas, I ________ (not have) such a big gas bill.
If I ________ (must not) pay my gas bill, I _______ (not go) out in the rain.
If I_______ (not go) out in the rain, I _________ (not catch) a cold.
If I _______ (not catch) a cold, I _________ (not carry) a handkerchief.
If I_________ (not carry) a handkerchief, I__________ (not drop) it.
If I _________ (not drop) my handkerchief, Juan _________ (not pick) it up.
If Juan________ (not pick) up my handkerchief, we_______ (never meet).
Moral: Paying bills can be a good thing.
Упражнение 22. Correct the third Conditional sentences if you see any mistakes. Some of the sentences are correct.
- Molly might have thought that Paul was enjoying the weather, if there had been any to enjoy.
- If Krassotkin had known what an effect his words might have on the child, nothing would have had induced him to play this trick on him.
- Even if Jack had died, he wouldn’t just the same has escaped from his horrible position.
- It can all have gone off more harmoniously if Peter had taken the trouble to embellish his story.
- I wonder what might have happened if a Gatling (скорострельное стрелковое оружие) had been used.
- But if Molly had stayed in her home, she wouldn’t have any home left to stay in.
- Bill dreamed of it at the age when everyone would laugh to his face if they could have guessed what was in his head.
- If the robber had been someone like Molly Smith, she'd simply have put the chain straight in her pocket and get away as fast as she could.
- If Greg could have moved, Greg would have leapt upon me.
- If Sally had been with us, the sense of complicity would be cloying.
Упражнение 23. Произнесите вслух все возможные условные предложения III типа, используя подстановочную таблицу. (Упражнение на выработку автоматизма речи)
| I wish I had
|| translated the article yesterday
met you yesterday
|| I should have
|| found out all about this discovery.
told you something.
|| read this new book
|| told you about it.
| If I had
|| bought a dictionary
|| asked him to come to our place.
|| learned my lesson
|| translated the text.
|| rung him up yesterday
|| got a good mark.
|| gone to the library
|| found out all about his illness.
|| had more practice in chess
|| got that book.
|| joined you in fishing
|| won the game yesterday.
|| had a ticket yesterday
|| caught a lot of fish.
|| asked you to help me
|| gone to the theatre with you.
|| called at that shop
|| done the work well.
|| called on my friend yesterday
|| bought the book.
|| won the championship
|| met interesting people.
|| heard about it yesterday
|| been sent abroad.
|| seen your brother yesterday
|| been pleased.
Rewrite the letter, using if-clauses (Third conditional).
I’m writing to you feeling completely frustrated. As you know, I have to give a reception every year to entertain my husband’s business associates, so I have to go to a lot of trouble. Well, disaster struck again! In my attempt to appear an original hostess, I ordered some Chinese and Thai food to be served with chopsticks. Needless to say, my guests disapproved. I also booked a Latin band to come and play live, but our middle-aged guests found it hard to dance so energetically. My husband has no sympathy for me and is mad at my choice of entertainment. I must confess I want to get out of organising such social gatherings. It’s a pity you weren’t here; you missed out on a unique opportunity to see my husband dancing.
Упражнение 25. Перевод. Translate the sentences using the third conditional.
Дата добавления: 2016-12-04; просмотров: 1453 | Нарушение авторских прав
Поиск на сайте: