The purpose of output hardware is to provide the user with the means to view information produced by the computer system. Information is output can be held in your hand, such as paper with text (word or numbers) or graphics printed on it. Softcopy output is displayed on a monitor.
Monitor is a component with a display screen for viewing computer data, television programs, etc. Printer is a computer output device that produces a paper copy of data or graphics.
Modem is an example of communication hardware - an electronic device that makes possible the transmission of data to or from computer via telephone or other communication lines.
Hardware comes in many configurations, depending on what the computer system is designed to do. Hardware can fill several floors of a large office building or can fit on your lap.
Answer the questions.
1. What is hardware?
2. What groups of hardware could be defined?
3. What is input hardware? What are the examples of input hardware?
4. What is mouse designed for? What is a light pen?
5. What is processing hardware? What are the basic types of memory used in a PC?
6. Can a PC-user change the ROM? Who records the information in ROM?
7. What is storage hardware? What is CD-ROM used for? Can a user record his or her data on a CD? What kind of storage hardware can contain more information: CD-ROM, RAM or ROM?
8. What is modem used for? Can PC-user communicate with other people without a modem?
2.2 Which of the listed below statements are true/false. Specify your answer using the text.
1. Computer is an electronic device therefore hardware is a system of electronic devices.
2. The purpose of the input hardware is to collect data and convert it into a form suitable for computer processing.
3. Scanner is used to input graphics only.
4. The purpose of processing hardware is to retrieve, interpret and direct the execution of software instructions provided to the computer.
5. CPU reads and interprets software and prints the results on paper.
6. User is unable to change the contents of ROM.
7. 5.25” floppy disks are used more than 3.5” disks.
8. Printer is a processing hardware because its purpose is to show the information produced by the system.
9. Modem is an electronic device that makes possible the transmission of data from one computer to another via telephone or other communication lines.
10. The purpose of storage hardware is to store computer instructions and data in a form that is relatively permanent and retrieve them when needed for processing.
UNIT 3 A TYPICAL PC