Answer the questions.
1. What does the term “computer” describe?
2. Is computer intelligent?
3. What are five components of computer system?
4. What is connectivity?
5. What is software? What’s the difference between hardware and software?
6. Why people are the most important component of a computer system?
7. In what way terms “data” and “information” differ?
8. How does computer convert data into information?
1.2 Which of the listed above statements are true/false. Specify your answer using the
1. Computer is made of electronic components so it is referred to as electronic device.
2. Computer has no intelligence until software is loaded.
3. There are five elements of computer system: hardware, software, people, diskettes and data.
4. The manner in which computers are connected is the connectivity.
5. Without software instructions hardware doesn’t know what to do.
6. The software is the most important component because it is made by people.
7. The user inputs data into computer to get information as an output.
8. Computer is used to help people in decision making process.
Match the following.
1. … doesn’t come to life until it is connected to other parts of a system.
2. … is the term used to describe the instructions that tell the hardware how to perform a task.
3. … create the computer software instructions and respond to the procedures that those instructions present.
4. Information in the form of instruction is called a … .
5. The manner in which the various individual systems are connected is … .
6. … is organized, processed and useful for decision making.
7. The basic job of the computer is the … .
c) processing of information
UNIT 2 HARDWARE
What is hardware? Hardware is the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electric devices composing a computer system.
Computer hardware can be divided into four categories:
· Input hardware
· Processing hardware
· Storage hardware
· Output hardware
The purpose of the input hardware is to collect data and convert it into a form suitable for computer processing. The most common input device is a keyboard. It looks very much like a typewriter. The mouse is a hand-held device connected to the computer by a small cable. As the mouse is rolled across the mouse pad the cursor moves across the screen. When the cursor reaches the desired location, the user usually pushes a button on the mouse once or twice to signal a menu selection or a command to the computer.
The light pen uses a light sensitive photoelectric cell to signal screen position to the computer. Another type of input hardware is optic-electronic scanner that is used to input graphics as well as typeset characters. Microphone and digital camera can be also used to input data into the computer.