1. English today is the language Е the world.
2. Е 350 million people Е the world speak English Е a mother tongue.
3. English is the major international language Е communication/
4. English is used Е one Е the official language Е the United Nations Organization
5. Е a second language it is used Е the former British and US colonies.
6. Learning a foreign language takes Е time and patience.
7. It is the language Е computer software.
8. You learn the culture and history Е the country.
12. Find the end of the following sentences
1. Students should learn English as it is a) especially important
2. The native speakers of English b) is absolutely necessary
3. Every educated person c) the language of the world
4. Knowledge of foreign language is d) of the country
5. Learning a foreign language is e) live in Great Britai
6/ You learn the culture f) a long and slow process
7. To know English g) has to know English
13 say ЂWhat language is it?ї
1) Over 350 million people in the world speak this language as a mother tongue.
2) This language is used in the Irish Republic, Canada and South American Republic.
3) This language is used in Great Britain, in the United States of America, Australia and New Zealand.
4) This language is used in the former British and US colonies.
5) This language is used for communication in such areas as science, technology, business and mass media.
Answer the questions on the text
1.Why do we need to learn foreign languages now?
2. How many people in the world speak English?
3. What English- speaking countries do you know?
4. In what areas is English mostly used?
5. What are the main difficulties for you in learning foreign languages?
Make up the plan of the text.
“ема ЂWilliam Shakesрeareї
“екст ЂWilliam Shakesрeareї
√рамматика Ц степени сравнени€ прилагательных
the Past Simple
Vocabulary on the text
Poets Ц поэты, Writers Ц писатели, Singers Ц певцы, Famous people Цизвестные люди,
Play Ц пьеса, Playwright Ц драматург, Poetry Ц поэзи€, Saying Цпоговорка, Sonnet Ц сонет,
Tragedy Ц трагеди€, To be founded Ц быть основанным, To be famous for Ц быть знаменитым за что-то, To be known for Ц быть известным чем-то, To be situated Ц быть расположенным, To be translated Ц быть переведЄнным, Give birth Ц порождать,
Have an influence on Ц вли€ть на что-то, To marry Ц женитьс€, To stage Цставить (пьесу).
Give the Russian equivalents
Isknown for its poets, writers and singers, BritainТs outstanding people, grammar school, he is famous for his great tragedies, as part of the school programmer, he worked as an actor and a playwright, a popular place with tourists.
Give the English equivalents
ѕородить много известных людей, € бы хотел сказать тебе, величайший драматург и писатель, дочь известного фермера, поступать в институт, сама€ известна€ истори€ любви, известные поговорки, вли€ть на литературу и €зык, стать музеем.
Make the third form of the following verbs
To be; to give; to marry; to stage; to know; to work; to tell; to go; to enter; to come; to have; to study; to think; to feel; to write.
5. Fined in the text the sentences with the Past Simple and translate them into Russian.
Translate the sentences into English
1.¬еликобритани€ породила много известных поэтов, писателей и певцов. 2. ¬иль€м Ўекспир родилс€ в —трэдфорте на Ёйвоне в 1564году. 3. Ўекспир известен своими трагеди€ми и комеди€ми 4. ≈го пьесы изучают британские школьники. 5. Ўекспир работал как актЄр и драматург в лондонском театре √лобус.
7. Read and translate the text УWilliam ShakesрeareФ
Text William Shakesрeare
Great Britain is known for its poets, writers and singers. It gave birth to such famous people as William Shakesрeare, Robert Burns, Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, Alexander Bell, Princess Diana and others. The Beatles group was also founded in Britain. I would like to tell you about some of BritainТs outstanding people.
William Shakesрeare, the greatest dramatist and writer, was born in Stratford Цupon-Avon in 1565. His father was a glover and his mother was the daughter of a famous farmer. Shakesрeare went to grammar school, but he never entered any university. He is famous for his great tragedies including Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth and the best known love story in the world Romeo and Juliet.
Many well-known sayings come from his works, and Shakesрeare also had a great influence on English literature and the language. His plays are studied by British schoolchildren as part of their school programme.
ShakesрeareТs works are known for their beautiful language and for the understanding of how people think and feel.
William Shakesрeare also wrote poetry, including the sonnets. He worked as an actor and a playwright at the Globe Theatre in London, which has recently been rebuilt as a copy of the original theatre.
Shakesрeare married once and had three children. After his death in 1616 his house in Stratford became a museum and now it is a popular place with tourists. ShakesрeareТs plays were stages in many theatres and translated into numerous languages. They are still read and loved by many people.
Exercises on the text