X. a) Read the following:
Caring teachers take an active part in defending peace and in solving other social problems, such as straggling for better living conditions and a happier future for their pupils. Their demands are well grounded since millions of boys and girls throughout the world are being deprived of a happy childhood.
b) Support the idea with information from Russian and/or foreign press. Pay special attention to the situation in the USA and Great Britain.
c) Speak on:
1. your idea of a happy childhood;
2. the problem of deprived children in Russia and abroad.
XI. Here is a series of extreme opinions. Build a conversation about each topic. Begin as in the model:
English is a very easy language to learn.
A.: It says here English is a very easy language to learn.
В.: I'm not sure I quite agree. I'd say it's fairly difficult.
A.: Why do you think that?
В.: Well, ...
1. A teaching career isn't suitable for men.
2. Teaching a foreign language in a school is pointless.
3. Education is the responsibility of teachers and parents shouldn't interfere.
4. Schoolchildren should be allowed to choose the subjects they want to study.
5. In the near, future schoolteachers will be replaced by computers.
XII. Translate the sentences below into English. Use Essential Vocabulary II:
1. Любовь к детям заставила его стать учителем, и он никогда не жалел о своем выборе. 2. Похоже, придется выбирать между работой в детском саду и учебой в пединституте. 3. В моей работе нет большого разнообразия, но у нее есть свои достоинства. 4. Боюсь, что в этот раз школьникам нелегко будет справиться с заданием. 5. Успехи учеников в большой степени зависят от их учителя и его профессионального мастерства. 6. Работа в школе потребует от вас ума, такта и чувства ответственности. 7. Уважение людей можно заслужить только честным трудом. 8. Не каждый, кто получает профессию учителя в Великобритании, может найти себе работу. 9. Я работаю учителем уже много лет и могу сказать, что не смог бы найти более благородного труда. 10. Мой друг выбрал себе профессию врача, еще когда учился в школе. Он всегда был уверен, что эта работа самая важная на свете. 11. Любовь к музыке и интерес к педагогике (theory of education) заставили меня подумать о профессии учителя музыки. 12. Часто выпускникам школ бывает трудно решить, какую профессию выбрать. В этом случае учителя и родители могут помочь им сделать правильный выбор университета.
ХIII. Role-piaying. a) Act out in pain the following situations; use Essential Vocabulary II:
1. Mike's father has been asked by the headmaster to come to school because of his son's unusual behaviour: bad marks, lots of missed classes, rude behaviour. Discuss the causes of his behaviour and steps to be taken.
2. Next year George and Nick are going to take entrance examinations at the University. Imagine a talk between them about their plans and the reasons that have determined then choice.
3. Mother and daughter have a very serious talk about the girl's decision to take up teaching as a career. Her mother, though, is rather sceptical about her choice.
4. Imagine a talk between two friends, one of whom is fed up with his or her present boring, unrewarding job. The other tries to suggest what he or she should do.
Prompts: might it be an idea to ...; have you ever thought of...; you could always ...; if I were you, I'd ...; why don't you .,.; you'd better ...
b) Role-play the following situation:
You are at a Parent-Teachers association meeting. You are discussing a problem you feel very strongly about Among you there is a mother who's sure that children shouldn't be strictly disciplined at school, a father who has the opposite opinion, a father who tends to blame teachers for his children's faults, a grandmother who tends to spoil her grandchildren, a mother who gives other parents advice for the only reason that her daughter is at the head of the class.
XIV. Pick one of these topics and discuss it, making sure each member of the group gets a chance tospeak;
1. How to encourage a child to make better progress at school? Should parents use; praise, presents, promises of future rewards?
2. Should a child be punished? If not, how to make children obey?
3. Should children be allowed to wear clothes of their own at school? Should boys be allowed to have long hair, and girls to use make-up?
4. How can parents help teachers with out-of-school activities?
5. Should parents insist on their children doing equally well in all the subjects or should they encourage their sons and daughters to specialise in one or two subjects essential for their future career?
XV. a) Read and translate the text: