1. Where’s your father ? - I don’t know. He just (to go out)’.
2. Do you want to watch this film? - Oh, no. I already (to see) it.”
3. What are you looking for ? Let me help you. - I (to lose) my glasses.
4.She (to be) here several times, but she never (to buy) anything.
5.I (to know) you for many years , but I never (to hear) you speak like that before. What (to happen)?
6. He (to come back)? How long he (to be) away?
7.Do you remember this story well? - Yes, I just (to read) it.”
8….she ever (conceal) anything from you?
9. She never (to lose) her temper before.
10. The news (to spread) like fire.
11…Jack (to move) into his new house yet? - I don’t know. I (not to see) him lately.
12. I (to send) him three letters, but he (not to answer) me yet.
13.You (to finish) that work yet? - I (to do) the first part already, and now I’m doing the second.
14.Where you (to be) all this time?”- I ( to live) in France.
15.Don’t spoil one good thing I (to do) in my life.
Задание 14.5. Употребите Past Simple или Present Perfect.
1. A: … (you/be) on holiday this year?
B: No, I …(can/not) go, because I …(break) my leg in August and
…(have) to stay in hospital.
2. A: …(you/visit) the National Museum yet?
B: Yes, I …(be) there three times, but I …(not/see) everything yet.
3. A: I’m ever so sorry, Jim, but I …(burn) your dinner. Maria …(phone) and I …(forget) about the food.
B: That’s okay. I …(already/eat).
4. A: I …(buy) a new dress yesterday, but when I …(arrive) home, I …(find) a hole in the seam.
B: What…(you/do)?…(you/take) it back to the shop?
A: No, I …(not/be) into town yet. I’ll do it this afternoon.
5. A: Your hair… (grow) a lot since I last… (see) you.
B: Yes. I… (want) to get it cut yesterday but I… (be) too busy.
6. A: I …(never/fly) before and I’m very nervous about it.
B: I… (feel)like that the first time I … (fly), but I thoroughly…(enjoy) it.
7. A: I … (lose) my glasses. …(you/see) them anywhere?
B: No. Where…(you/put) them?
A: I … (put) them on the table a minute ago, but they’re not there now.
8. A:… (you/ever/meet) anyone famous?
B: Yes, I … (speak) to Paul McCartney and I …(see) John Lennon before he was killed.
9. A: Where… (you/go) on holiday?
B: To Paris. …(you/be) there?
A: Yes, I …(go) there last year. We…(swim) every day. It was great!
10. A: How’s your job, Mike?
B: I …(just/start) a new one. I …(leave) the old one because they…(not/pay) me enouth money.
11. A: When… (you/leave) school?
B: I… (leave) in 1980, I … (finish) university in 1984 and I…(have) three jobs since then.
12.A: …(you/see) “Gone with the Wind” on TV last night?
B: No I…(see) it so many times already that I…(not/want) to watch it again.
The Past Perfect
Задание 14.6. Переведите на русский язык и объясните употребление Past Perfect
1. The typist had typed the article by five o’clock.
2. He told me that he had almost finishd translating the text.
3. By the end of the year he had learn to speak French.
4. More than a year had passed since I first met him.
5. When he had written and sent the letter he he felt better.
6. I was at the party but I didn’t talk to Tom. When I came he had just left.
7. As I hadn’t got an answer, I sent him another letter.
8. The whole family had gone to bad when Tony returned.
9. After the guests had gone, Liz sank into an arm-chair and drew a long breath.
10. They hadn’t complited the test when the teacher came.
11. We reached the village before it had grown dark.
12. They had agreed upon the plan before I arrived, so I couldn’t intefrere.
13. It was not until they both had signed the papers that he managed.
14. This man had been ill for weeks when the doctor came; nothing cold be done for him.
15. We had heardly left home when it began to rain heavily.
16. Hardly had he answered the phone when his brother.
17. By the end of the year he had almost recovered.
18. The clock had nno sooner stuck five than the first quests appeared.
19. No sooner had I come than the lecture began.
20. He waited until the rider had disappeared and started on his way home.
Задание 14.7. Раскройте скобки, употребляя Past Perfect
1. I was very sorry to hear that he (to leave).
2. When we got to the University, the lecture (to start already).
3. When he came home after work, the family (to start watching TV).
4. He didn’t return to his work until he (to spend all his money).
5. When I met her I understood why David (to refuse to marry her).
6. I didn’t know what to do when I understood that I (to leave my purse at home).
7. He didn’t start whaching TV until he (to walk his dog).
8. She managed to grasp the main idea of the article only after she (to read it twice)
9. She was tired because she (to walk too much)
10. They never started eating until they (to wash their hands).
11. We didn’t meet Lucy because she (to go away the day before).
12. By the end of that year we (to forget our quarrels).
13. Betty didn’t speak until everyone (to stop chattering).
14. They suddenly remembered that they (not to send the parcel to its owner).
15. She returned to the hotel after she (to visit her old friend).
16. He didn’t get anything until he (to pay for it).
Задание 14.8. Раскройте скобки, употребив Past Perfect или Past Simple.
1. He (to sit) in the park until the light (to fade).
2. He (to remember) so well that house, where he (to spend) his youth and first (to meet) Mabel!
3. When he (to rush) into the room he (to see) at once that she (to burn) the letter which he (to hope) so mach to read.
4. As soon as he (to understand) it he (to quiet) down.
5. David (to look up) at his friend and (to see) that he jast (to get) some bad news.
6. ‘Why you (to go) there before I (to come)?’ he asked. You (to promise) to wait for me.’
7. After the sun (to rise), they (to start) walking slowly towards the lake.
8. What (to happen) here before I (to come)? She asked. Nick (to explain) that he (to want) to play with the dog and they (to break) the vase. After he (to try) to clean the carpet he (to decide) to tell the truth.
9. She (not to remebber) the place. Bit suddenly it all (to come back) to her: how they (to be afraid of) their teachers, how they (to quarrel), how they (to share) theur secrets…
10. There (to be) a rule in their house. They never (to start) eating and even (not to sit down) at the table until everyone who (to be able) to do so (to gather) in the dining-room.
11. As soon as everyone (to come) and (to sit down) Mr Hull (to open) the will. Everyone (to expect) something different from what he (to read out), so they (to return) home really disappointed.
12. When the tourists (to come back) to the hotel, they (to discover) that a new guest (to arrive). Some of them (to know) him before, and they (not to like) it. But of course they (not to show) their disappointment, while the newcomer (to prefer) not to notice those he (to meet) before.
13. He (to be) happy. He (to be over) with the article at last! It (to be) good. After he (to read) it through again, he (to see) it even more more clearly. The editor, who (not to praise ) him for his last article, was going to be pleased this time. He (to dial) the number and the secretaty (to tell) him that the editor (to go out)
14. He (to be) so angry that he (not to be able) to speak until he (to count) to fifteen… Then he (to start) explaning that he even (not ti be present) at the Board meeting and (to have) nothing to do with that decision.
15. After the plain (to land) and he (to pass) the customs and the luggage control, Mr Jenkins (to take) a taxi and (to go) to the hotel.
16. When he (to come) he was surprised by the unusual silence in the typing pool. The one remaining typist (to explain) that everyone (to go out).
17. Hardly he (to open) the door wnen he (to notice) some changes in the house.
18. No sooner Dave (to start) ro read than the phone (to ring). He (to get up) and (to take) the receiver. It (to be) his friend Pete. He (to tell) Dave that his favourite team (to win). After Dave (to hear) the news he (to go) to tell it his father. He (to be sorry) he (to miss) the match but glad that the Rovers (to lose). He (not to return) to the book until he (to tell) about it to the family.
1. Somebody … (to come) to me last year to have his portrait done. I never (to see) him before, and never (to hear) anything about about him at the time. He (to offer) an extravagant price. I (to refuse) him. There (to be) something in the shape of his fingers that I (to hate). (O. Wilde)
2. It (to be) Spiro who, on discovering that our money yet (not to arrive) from England, (to subside) us, and (to take) it upon himself to go and speak to the bank manager about his lack of organisation. (G. Durrel)
3. The official (to hand) our passports back to Mother, (to bow) and (to leave) us to our gloom. Some moments later Mother, (to glance) at the form the official (to fill in) and (to fill in) and (to stiffen). (G. Durrel)
Задание 14.9. Translate into English.
1. После того как вечер закончился и гости разошлись, усталые хозяева приступили к уборке.
2. Не успел я начать подготовку к экзамену, как выяснилось, что формулировки вопросов изменились.
3. Мы не приступали к работе, пока не выяснили все подробности.
4. К началу июня все было готово к переезду. Новый дом был гораздо просторнее и удобнее того, в котором мы жили раньше. Мы закончили переезд к десятому июня и позвали гостей на новоселье.
5. Когда я приехал в город, Дэвид уже уехал в Лондон. Я столь многого ожидал от разговора с ним!
6. Джейн была не голодна, так как она только что позавтракала.
7. Этот режиссер получил приз после того, как снял свой лучший фильм.
8. Не успела эта семья снять дом, как начала искать новый из-за причуд старшего брата.
9. До того как поселиться в нашем городе, он долго путешествовал. Он побывал во многих городах и странах.
10. Наш город был маленьким. После того, как к нам приехала новая семья, все захотели познакомиться с ними.
The Future Perfect Tense
Задание 14.10. Переведите на Русский язык и объясните употребление Future Perfect Tense.
1. By ten they will have gone; come earlier, if you can.
2. The plane will have taken off when we get to the airport.
3. If you come at five, I’ll have translated the article.
4. Will you have finished the washing-up by the time the film begins?
5. By that time he will have got your letter, don’t phone him.
6. She’s leaving on Saturday, but I think she will have made all her purchases by then.
7. He must give the book back next Tuesday, but he will have it long before that day.
8. We won’t have written the test by the time the teacher comes.
Задание 14.11. Раскройте скобки, употребив Future Perfect
1. Pete and Jane are going to the concert. It is 18.30. The concert starts at 19.00. It will take them 45 minutes to get to the hall. By the time they get there, (the concert/already/to start).
2. The population of this town is about 50,000. Every year it increases; more than 1,000 a year. By the end of the third year (it/become/more than 53,000).
3. Next year is their 10th wedding anniversary. They (to be married/10 years).
4. We are late. It`s 11.35 already. The lecture begins at 11.40. By the time we get to the University (the lecture/already/to start).
5. I`m almost through with this book. There are only ten pages left. When you come back, (I/to read/it).
6. He is very good at cooking. It usually takes him half an hour to make a very good meal for the whole family. It`s 17.30 now. We`ll come home in twenty minutes. When we come, (he/to cook/the meal).
7. Jake usually gets up late. His favourite film is on TV today, but by the time he gets up, (the film/already/to start).
8. Ann started working here almost three years ago on September 1. This Monday is September 1. So this Monday (she/to work here/three years).
Задание 14.12. Придумайте окончания следующим предложениям, употребив Future Perfect.
1. By the time he comes, …
2. When this term is over, …
3. By the end of the week, …
4. Be the end of the academic year, …
5. When they are through with this task, …
6. When my parents come home, …
7. Before the end of his/her holiday, …
8. Before the end of this week, …
9. When they get to the station, …
Задание 14.13. Раскройте скобки, употребив Future Perfect.
1. I hope they (to build) this bridge by the end of the year.
2. What you (to do) by the time I come back?
3. By the end of this year Mr Faith (to work) for this company for fifty years.
4. They (to pick) all the apples by the end of October.
5. Your guests (to go) by five?
6. By the end of the month 2,000 people (to fall ill). Are you going to send help?
7. “Will you take me to see the castle when I come?”
“Oh, by all means. I think I (to pass) my driving test by then. Then we`ll go by car.”
8. He used to have black hair, but now … I think he (to go) completely grey by the time he`s 40.
9. We`re trying to raise money for our fund. By the end of the year we (to raise) $20.000.
10. By the end of the week she (to drive) 500 miles.
11. They (to be married) for five years tomorrow.
Задание 14.14. Составьте предложения, употребив Future Perfect или Future Continuous (Progressive) Tense.
Pattern : At 12.00 on Saturday Tom will be watching football.
By 13.30 he will have finished watching football.
1. At 9.30 on Monday…
2. By 13.30 on Monday…
3. At 8.15 on Friday…
4. By 18.00 on Thursday…
5. At 10.30 on Thursday…
6. At 11.30 on Saturday…
7. Buy 18.30 on Tuesday…
8. By 22.30 on Saturday…
9. By 8.15 on Friday…
10. At 14.30 on Thusday…
11. By 20.30 on Monday…
12. At 10.30 on Friday…
13. At 11.30 on Monday…
14. By 18.30 on Wednesday…
15. By 11.30 on Tuesday…
16. By 20.30 on Wednesday…
17. At 20.00 on Sunday…
18. By 15.00 on Friday…
19. At 16.00 on Wednesday…
20. At 18.30 on Wednesday…
21. By 12.30 on Thursday…
22. At 18.30 on Saturday…
Задание 14.15. Раскройте скобки, употребив Future Perfect, Future Simple, Present Progressive and Present Simple.
1. I (to hope) when I (to come) back you (to finish) your homework.
2. You (to be) late. By the time you (to get) there they (to eat) everything up.
3. Too many people (to fall ill) every day. I`m afraind by the end of the nobth the epidemic (to spread) here.
4. These batteries (to run out) in two days. Don`t forget to get some more!
5. Your watch (to be) slow. We (to be) late! The party (to begin) by the time we (the come)!
6. The house is very old. They (to demolish) it by the time you (to come) to our city again, I think.
7. Tornadoes (to speed) through the island every year. By the end of the season they (to damage) many buildings and (to injure) or (to kill) many people.
8. By that time you (to go) crazy or (forget) it all.
1. Don’t go to Nick’s place now, he (to work). He (to finish) his homework at seven o’clock. If you (to come) after seven, he (to be) very glad. 2. Pete (to go) to the cinema? – Yes, I (to think) so. He usually (to play) in the yard at this time, and now he (not to be) there. 3. He (to read) a book at five o’clock yesterday. 4. You (to go) for a walk with me? – I (to be) sorry, I can’t. I (to do) my homework. I (not yet to write) the Englisg exercise. If you (to wait) for me, I (to go) with you in half an hour. I (to want) to go for a walk very much, because I (not to go) for a walk yesterday.
5.Yesterday the children(to do)all their homework before mother(to come) home,and when she(to come),they(to play)with the cat.
6.I(to lose)my key when I(to play)in the yard yesterday.
7.Ring me up as soon as you(to come)home.
8.Where you usually(to take)books for reading?
Задание 14.16.Раскройте скобки,употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времён: Present, Past, Future Simple; Present, Past Continuous; Present, Past Perfect.
1. Mike (to eat) ice cream every day. Look, he (to eat) ice cream now. When I (to see) him in the morning,he(to eat)ice cream,too. He (to stay) he (to eatone ice cream already by that time. I think he (to fall) ill if he (to eat) so much ice cream. 2. They (to walk) along the street and (to talk). Suddenly Nick (to stop) and (to say): ”Oh, what shall we do? I (to lose) the key to the door.” If you (not to find) it, ”said Pete,” we (to have) to wait for mother in the street.” 3.When I (to come) to the station yesterday, I (to learn) that my train already (to leave). 4. What he (to do) when you (to see) him yesterday? 5. I (to give) you this book as soon as I (to finish) reading it. 6. When the ship (to cross) the ocean, a great storm (to break) out.
Задание 14.17. Раскройте скобки , употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времён: Present, Past, Future Simple; Present, Past Continuouns; Present, Past Perfect.
It was eight o’clock in thr morning and time for me to go to wrk. I (to look) out of the window. It (to rain) hard. “You (to get) wet through if you (to go) out now,” said my mother. “No, I… ,; I answered, “ I(to take) an umbrella.” We (to have) five umbrellas in the house, but when I when I (to want) to take one, I (to find) that there (to be) not one that I could use: they all (to be) torn or broken. So I (to take) them all and (to carry) them to the umbrella maker, saying that I would call for the umbrellas on my way home in the evening. When I (to go) to have lunch in the afternoon, it still (to rain) very hard. I (to go) to the nearest café, and (to sit) down at a table. A few minutes later a younh woman (to come) in and (to sit) down at the same table with me. When I (to finish) my lunch and (to be) ready to leave. I absentmindedly (to take) her umbrella and (to start) for the exit. She (to stop) me saying that I (to take) her umbrella. I (to return) the umbrella witch many apologies. In the evening I (to go) to the umbrella maker, (to take) my five umbrellas and (to get) on the tram to go home. It so happened that the woman I (to meet) at the café (to ride) in the same tram. When she (to see) me with my five umbrellas, she (to say): “You (to have) a successful day today, (to have not) you?”
Дата добавления: 2015-09-20; просмотров: 195 | Нарушение авторских прав