Как ухаживать за кактусами в домашних условиях, цветение: Для кого-то, это странное «колючее» растение, к тому же плохо растет в домашних условиях...
Теория отведений Эйнтховена: Сердце человека – это мощная мышца. При синхронном возбуждении волокон сердечной мышцы...
Нейроглия (или проще глия, глиальные клетки): Структурная и функциональная единица нервной ткани и он состоит из тела...
V. Make up a dialogue on the following situation, get ready to reproduce it.
You have to hire a taxi because you are hurrying to the port. Ask a passer-by where the taxi-stand is. Hire a taxi, explain the driver where you want to get. Ask him to drive faster. Don't forget to pay.
VI. Compose a report about environmental protection. Use the following
The Earth; to be in trouble: to dump; garbage; to burn; to harm; to keep in the best possible shape; outlook.
VII. Home-reading (read and translate orally and do all tasks in written form).
THE PIRATE'S CURSE!
Tom Sweeney was a pirate. Not a pirate captain, or particularly fierce. He was just a sailor who preferred the life of a buccaneer and enjoyed the company of hard drinking ruffians! He had seen plenty of action over the years, including the experience of being with Henry Morgan at the Siege of Maracaibo.
It was said that Sweeney was born of gypsy stock, although no one knew for sure. Even Sweeney himself did not know exactly where he was born! The one thing that made Sweeney stand out from the rest of his shipmates, was the bear. The bear had been with him for about fifteen years. He said that he had won it in a game of 'shove ha'penny' when it was a cub. But now, fifteen years on, it was a fully-grown Russian Black Bear standing eight feet tall on its hind legs! Sweeney took it everywhere and it was said that the bear could down a jug of ale with the best of them! The bear was devoted to Sweeney and he to it. They were inseparable - Until the fateful day that they arrived in Liverpool.
The ship was tied up at the dockside. Sweeney, some of his shipmates and the bear had gone ashore. They were all in a quayside alehouse, drinking and playing cards with some of the Liverpool locals. As the afternoon wore on, the drinking became heavy and tempers began to fray. An argument developed between a local fisherman and one of Sweeney's pals. In the fight that followed, the fisherman got stabbed.
Now the fight had nothing to do with Sweeney, he was at the bar at the time and was not involved. But the following day, because those in the alehouse had remembered the bear, he was picked out as the ringleader. He was thrown into jail and the bear taken from him. He never saw it again!
Sweeney was outraged at the injustice, and distraught at the loss of his beloved companion. So angry in fact that he placed a curse on the City of Liverpool! A curse, that is unbroken to this day. It is known as 'The Curse of Sweeney's Bear'. From that day to this very moment, every child born in the City of Liverpool is born with a 'bare' behind! Copyright Leslie Melville 1996.
Ex I. Answer the following questions:
1. Where was Sweeney born?
2. What kind of sailor was he?
3. Why were Sweeney and his bear inseparable?
4. What port was the ship tied in?
5. How did Sweeney and his shipmates spend time ashore?
6. What happened in the alehouse?
7. Why was Sweeney thrown into jail?
8. How did he lose his bear?
Ex. II. Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Он предпочитал жизнь пирата и любил компанию пьющих головорезов.
2. Говорили, что он был цыганского рода, но никто не знал наверняка.
3. У него был русский черный медведь, которого он выиграл медвежонком пятнадцать лет назад.
4. Они были неразлучны до рокового дня, когда судно прибыло в Ливерпуль.
5. Они жили и играли в карты с местными, в пивной на набережной.
6. Завязался спор с местным рыбаком, и в последующей драке рыбака закололи.
7. Его арестовали как зачинщика и бросили в тюрьму, а медведя забрали.
8. Его оскорбила несправедливость, поскольку он не имел отношения к драке.
9. Он был так рассержен, что проклял город Ливерпуль, и это проклятие не снято по сей день.
I. Give the equivalents of the following expressions:
Быть занятым; ремонтировать оборудование; выполнять обязанности; задержать прибытие; порт назначения; ожидаемое время отправления.
II. Translate the following sentences into English:
1. Расскажи что-нибудь интересное о своём последнем рейсе.
2. Сергей окончил колледж 2 года тому назад.
3. Я могу добраться до порта на метро?
4. Какая была погода, когда вы входили в порт? - Был туман.
5. Кто будет руководить работой матросов?
6. Нас попросили оказать помощь судну, терпящему бедствие.
7. Он сообщил, что приедет во вторник.
8. Если мы хотим прекратить загрязнение водного пространства, мы не будем сбрасывать отходы в реки и моря.
III Read and translate the text in writing:
Captain Bartholomew Roberts and the Unfortunate Sea-Cook!
Captain Bartholomew Roberts was taking on extra crew for a voyage to West Africa. He liked to recruit personally and was sat at a small desk on the quayside at Port Royal, Jamaica. He was questioning a fifty-year old sea cook who had a wooden leg, an eye patch and a hook at the end of his left arm.
“So how did you lose your leg?” he asked the old salt. “We was sailin’ round the Horn in a great swell and I fell overboard. A shark ‘ad me leg before me mates hauled me out of the water!”
“I see”, said Roberts, “and what about your hand?” he pointed to the hook. “”We was attackin’ a merchantman – pistols a-blazin’, swords a-swingin’ and blow me if one of me own didn’t cut me ‘and off by accident!”
“Well that was unfortunate. Tell me how did you manage to lose an eye?” asked an amused Roberts. “It was a seagull droppin’ that caused that sir”, said the sailor, almost apologetically. “A seagull dropping caused you to lose an eye? That’s amazing!” said the captain.
“Aye, well it was me first day with the hook!” answered the unfortunate man.
IV. Answer the following questions (in details):
1. Where was the captain taking on extra crew?
2. What did the old sea cook look like?
3. How did he lose his leg?
4. How did he manage to lose an eye?
Дата добавления: 2016-12-04; просмотров: 152 | Нарушение авторских прав