to speak, to carry, to write, to prepare, to build, to sleep, to play, to study, to discuss
”пр.123. ќбъедините два предложени€ в одно, использу€ Present Perfect Continuous.
Model: It is raining now. It began raining two hours ago.
It has been raining for two hours.
1. Boris is studying History. He began studying it three hours ago.
2. I'm learning Spanish. I started learning Spanish in December.
3. Ann is looking for a job. She began it six months ago.
4. Nick is working in London. He started working there in 1998.
5. George smokes. He started smoking five years ago.
”пр.124. «адайте вопросы по ситуаци€м, начинающиес€ с "How longЕ?"ќтветьте на них.
1. My foot is hurting.
2. Mike plays chess.
3. Jim sells washing machines.
4. Tom lives in High Street.
5. My sister studies German.
6. I study at the Institute.
7. I am having dinner.
8. They are talking.
9. Bob is watching TV.
10.The children are playing in the yard.
”пр. 125. «авершите ситуацию, использу€ Present Perfect Continuous и слова в скобках.
Model: Tom is out of breath. (to run)
He has been running.
1. Ann is very tired. (to work hard)
2. Bob has a black eye and Bill has a cut lip. (to fight)
3. Bob has just come back from the beach. His skin is very red. (to lie in the sun)
4. His hands are covered with oil. (to work on the car)
5. Her eyes are red. (to cry)
6. The child's lips are dirty. (to eat ice-cream)
7. He looks sleepy. (to sleep)
”пр.126. «адайте вопросы по ситуации, использу€ Present Perfect Continuous.
Model: John's hands are dirty. (to work in the garden?)
Has he been working in the garden?
1. You have just arrived to meet your friend who is waiting for you. (to wait long?)
2. You see a little boy. His eyes are red and watery. (to cry?)
3. Your friend comes in. He looks tired. (to work?)
4. Your friend has shown good results in the sport competition. (to train much?)
5. She lives in Moscow (how long \ to live?)
6. Marry has made a wonderful report. (to work at the report for a long time?)
”пр. 127. ќтветьте на вопросы.
1. Have you finished writing your report? (Yes, Е) How long have you been working at it? How much time did it take you to write the introductory part?
2. When did you come to Kirov? What city have you come from? How long have you been living in Kirov?
3. Have you lost your pen? (Yes, Е) When did you lose it? Have you looked for it everywhere? How long have you been looking for it?
4. What are they doing in the hall? (to prepare for the New Year Party) Have they already completed all the preparations for the New Year Party? (No,Е) When did they start the preparations? Since when have they been decorating the hall?
5. What have you done to improve your health? (Do morning exercises) How long have you been doing your morning exercises?
6. What are you doing? (to ring up to my friend) Has the number answered you yet? (No,Е) How long have you been trying to get in touch with your friend?
7. Have you found the article or are you still looking for it through the magazines? How long have you been looking through them?
”пр. 128*. ѕоставьте все возможные вопросы к предложени€м. ѕоставьте предложени€ в отрицательную форму.
1. We have been waiting for you at the station for 2 hours.
2. I have been trying to unlock the door with a wrong key.
3. He has been working at this problem all his life.
”пр.129*. –аскройте скобки, употребл€€ Present Continuous или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. Why are you red? You (to run)? 2. Hey, what you (to do) here? 3. He (to do) his lessons since after lunch. 4. Come in, but look where you (to go). We (to paint) the living-room. 5. The bathroom is in a mess. The children (to wash) their dog. 6. I (to try) to find him the whole day. 7. Why you (not to talk) to each other? You (to quarrel) again? 8. I can see her face in the mirror. She (to smile). 9. She (to type) without any intervals ever since she came home from the office. 10. I (to cook) dinner since the children left for school. In fact, I (to cook) it right now.
1. There is a man sitting at the first table near the door. He (to look) at us. - Yes, but what of it? - I (to meet) him everywhere for the last two days. 2. Ever since my schooldays I (to study) the History of Russia. Now I (to read) books on the Civil War. 3. I know you (to look) for somebody with experience on your stuff. There is a person in our laboratory who might interest you. He (to work) here for ten years. 4. I have just returned from my aunt's. - How long you (to stay) with her? 5. Where is my daughter? - She (to talk) to a policeman. - What's happened? - She (to drive) without a license. 6. I hope you (to do) well? - Splendid! I was very sorry that you left us. We (to do) better ever since. 7. A girl (to wait) to see you, doctor. - How long she (to wait)?
”пр. 130*. ѕереведите на русский €зык, использу€ Present Continuous или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. ¬ы делаете это не так. ¬ы уже п€ть минут пытаетесь открыть дверь не этим ключом. 2. уда ты так торопишьс€? - ѕри€тель ждет мен€ у метро уже полчаса. 3. ¬ы читаете эту газету? 4. я ношу это пальто уже два года. 5. ого вы ждете? - ћайкла. - ¬ы давно его ждете? 6. ѕочему вы здесь стоите? 7. ќн учитс€ в институте в прошлого года. 8. я пытаюсь найти эту книгу уже год. 9. „то ты здесь делаешь? - я пытаюсь найти одну книгу. 10. ѕочему ты улыбаешьс€?
”пр. 131*. –аскройте скобки, употребл€€ Present Perfect или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. I (to do) my work for two hours and (not to finish) it yet. 2. Helen (to read) this book since Monday and she (not to read) it yet. 3. My brother (to collect) stamps ever since he left school. Now he (to collect) so many that he does not know where to put them. 4. That boy already (to stand) at the bus stop for half an hour and his bus (not to come) yet. 5. Something (to happen) to Jack. I (to wait) for him long and he (not to come) yet. 6. There are a lot of things I (to do) for a long time, and I (not to do) them all yet. 7. Arnold (to come) back. I must go and wash my eyes. I don't want him to see that I (to cry). 8. Father already (to arrive). We just (to speak) to him. 9. You are old enough to begin to learn. - I (to learn) all my life. 10. Where you (to put) my book? I (to look) for it for an hour.
1. I never (to see) this face. 2. I often (to see) this name in the papers this year. 3. I (to try) to get her on the phone for about 20 minutes. 4. She (to study) English for a year and (to learn) many words and expressions. 5. I (to know) it since yesterday. 6. I (to look) for him since I left the hotel but I (not to find) him. I (to be) to the other three hotels but there is no visitor of that name anywhere. 7. I'm sorry, I'm late. You (to wait) long? - No, I just (to come). 8. I (to be) up here in the park since about six. I (to walk) for two hours. 9. I (to come) to you to ask for some information. 10. I expect these young men (to tell) you who I am. 11. I really don't know what you (to do) there all this time. 12. Ever since it happened I (to pretend) to myself it was an accident.
1. I (to translate) this article for about an hour and (to translate) the first page. 2. I know what you (to work) on the last days. You (to discover) any facts? 3. They (to discuss) the case for hours but (to be) unable to come to any decision. 4. You (to read) too many mystery stories of late. They (to give) you ideas? 5. She (to try) all kinds of medicines for years but nothing (to be) of any use. 6. Again she (to tell) you the gossips. The things you (to hear) are quite impossible. 7. I (to tell) you so for years but you never (to pay) attention. 8. They (to take) her from one specialist to another since she was a baby but it (not to help). 9. They (to advertise) their machines since May but they (not to get) any orders yet.
”пр.132*. ѕереведите на английский €зык, использу€ Present Perfect или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. я сижу здесь с 10 часов. Ќикто сюда не заходил. 2. ћы читаем эту книгу с сент€бр€ и прочли уже больше половины. 3. ќна себ€ неважно чувствует в последнее врем€ и пропустила несколько зан€тий. 4. я сегодн€ делала покупки и наконец нашла себе перчатки. 5. ¬ последнее врем€ он брал уроки плавани€ в бассейне и научилс€ довольно хорошо плавать. 6. ќн тренирует эту команду всего полгода, но они добились хороших успехов.
”пр. 133*. –аскройте скобки, использу€ Present Indefinite, Present Continuous, Present Prefect или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. What you (to write)? - I (to write) my composition. I (to write) it all morning and (not to finish) it yet. - I (to finish) mine. I always (to do) the work in time.
2. What you (to do) Jane? - I (to read). - But it (to be) late. You (to read) since morning.
3. Where (to be) John? - He (to work) in the garden. - He must be too tired. He (to work) there all day. - He never (to get) tired when he (to work) in the garden.
4. Who you (to wait) for? - I (to wait) for Jack. I (to wait) for him since 11 o'clock.
5. They (to stand) there for the last 20 minutes. - What they (to talk) all this time?
6. What you (to think) of? - I (to think) of our journey.
7. George and Tony (to play) chess in the living-room. - They (to play) since I (to come) there.
1. He (to run) now. He (to run) for 20 minutes without any rest. 2. What
they (to do) now? - They (to work) in the reading-room. They (to work) there for three hours. 3. Where he (to be) now? - He (to be) in the garden. He (to play) with his friends. They (to play) since breakfast time. They always (to play) together. 4. I (to live) in St.Petersburg. I (to live) there since 1990. 5. She already (to do) her homework for 2 hours, but (not to do) it yet. 6. What you (to do)? - I (to read). I (to read) for three hours. I already (to read) sixty pages. 7. I (to wait) for you since 3 o'clock. 8. This man (to be) a writer. He (to write) books. He (to write) books since he was a young man. He already (to write) six novels. 9. Lena is very proud. She always (to help) her mother about the house. Today she (to help) her mother since morning. She already (to clean) the living-room. Now she (to wash) the windows.
1. I (to ring) the bell for the last quarter of an hour. 2. I want to see how much he (to change) since I last saw him. 3. You (to have) any word from him since he left? 4. Here's my key. I (to leave). 5. I asked them not to make any decision until they (to get) the documents. 6. Wait till you (to see) Mark and (to talk) to him. 7. But what will we do? - I (to think) about it a lot. I (to think) about it all week. But I (not to know) what to do. 8. I mustn't let my eyes get all red and swollen, or Henry will know I (to cry). 9. Look, I (to know) Francis very well. I (to know) him since we were very young. 10. My dear, you and I (to be) friends for all these years but I never (to tell) you what really happened to Arthur. 11. What are we going to say to him when he (to come)? 12. I'm in great trouble. My little boy (to fall) off a ladder and (to hurt) himself.
1. He (to solve) the cross-word puzzle for half an hour and he (to say) he
(to be) about to finish it as soon as he (to think) over the last word. 2. The actors (to rehearse) since early morning; now they (to go) over the first scene as they (not to be) satisfied with their acting. 3. Here you (to be) at last! I (to wait) for you for twenty minutes. You (not to be) ashamed? 4. She (to speak) over the telephone long enough, it (to be) time for her to stop talking. 5. As you (to work) late hours this week, you (to look) tired. 6. It (to snow) the whole week and it still (to snow). If it (to go) on like this nobody will be able to reach the camp. 7. At last you (to open) the door! 8. My watch (to keep) good time ever since I bought it. 9. They (to discuss) this question ever since I (to be) here and they (not to come) to any decision yet. 10. The typist (to miss) several words as she (to talk) all the time. 11. The lecturer (to mention) this name several times but I cannot remember it. I (to write) it down as soon as he (to mention) it again. 12. He (to work) at the language all the time and (to make) great progress. His phonetics (to be) perfect, only a slight accent (to remain).
”пр. 134*. ѕереведите на английский, использу€ Present Indefinite, Present Continuous, Present Perfect или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. я его только что видела. ќн разговаривал с кем-то в коридоре. 2. “ы в жизни никогда по-насто€щему никого не любил. 3. огда он обычно приходит? 4. —екретарь еще не вернулась. 5. „то вы там так долго обсуждали? 6. ¬ последнее врем€ вы меньше работаете. 7. ћы только что пообедали. 8. ќна мне все рассказала. 9. ќни играют у себ€ в комнате с самого обеда. 10. я о вас так много слышала. 11. √де € видел это лицо? 12. ќна сейчас работает в библиотеке над докладом.
1. ќни второй день перевод€т эту статью. ќни перевели уже 60 страниц. 2. ”читель еще не пришел, а студенты уже на своих местах и повтор€ют текст. 3. Ёта книга все еще у него? —колько времени он ее читает? 4. ќн закончил первое упражнение и делает второе. 5. ќн тренирует нас с тех пор, как € играю в этой команде. 6. ќни уже прин€ли решение по первому вопросу? - Ќет, они все еще спор€т. ќни обсуждают этот вопрос уже два часа и еще не пришли ни к какому соглашению.